October 28, 2012 "The Sunday Times" -- A LONG-RANGE Israeli bombing raid last week that was seen as a dry run for a forthcoming attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities has destroyed an Iranian-run plant making rockets and ballistic missiles in Sudan. Eight Israeli F-15I planes — four carrying two one-ton bombs, escorted by four fighters — struck the giant Yarmouk factory on the southwestern outskirts of Khartoum, the capital, in the early hours of Wednesday. The raid, in which two people died, triggered panic across the city. Witnesses said they heard a series of loud blasts followed by the sound of ammunition exploding. “It was a double impact — the explosion at the factory and then the ammunition flying into the neighbourhood,” said Abd-al Ghadir Mohammed, 31, a resident. “The ground shook. Some homes were badly damaged. Continue ======
Israel's 'dry run' for a strike against Iran: Two killed as jets
bomb Sudanese rockets factory The Yarmouk arms factory, in the south of the capital Khartoum, was destroyed in a series of explosions on Wednesday last week, in which two people died. Sudan immediately pointed the finger of blame at Israel, while an American monitoring group said satellite images of the aftermath of the explosion suggest the site was hit in an airstrike.
The Yarmouk military complex in Khartoum, Sudan seen in a satellite image made on October 12, prior to the alleged attack
A satellite picture of the military complex after the alleged raid taken on October 25 The images
showed ‘six large craters, each approximately 16 metres across
and consistent with large impact craters created by
air-delivered munitions. They were
centred in a location where, until recently, some 40 shipping
containers had been stacked’, according to the Satellite
Sentinel Project. There were claims yesterday that Israel attacked the factory because it was a front for manufacturing rockets and ballistic missiles for Iran. There were also reports that the raid acted as a ‘dry run’ for a forthcoming strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities. Israel has
so far made no comment on the destruction of the factory, as has
become conventional when it is accused of attacking targets in
nearby countries. But it has long seen Sudan as a conduit for weapons smuggled to the Hamas-ruled Gaza strip via the Egyptian Sinai desert. Sudan’s information minister, Ahmed Bilal Osman, said: ‘The sophisticated warplanes and weapons used in the attack are available to no country in the region except Israel.’
Graphic with details of a raid carried out a military complex in Khartoum He added
that Sudan would have to take ‘decisive steps’ in retaliation
although this would ‘definitely’ not entail a direct strike. ‘But we
have the means, we have the means of how we can reply. They
killed our people... and we know how to retaliate.’ There was
widespread condemnation in the Arab world yesterday over the
alleged attacks, although there was no direct proof linking them
to Israel. Western ‘security sources’ told the Sunday Times the bombing raid was carried out by eight Israeli F-151 planes. Scroll down to add / read comments
|
| In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. Information Clearing House has no affiliation whatsoever with the originator of this article nor is Information ClearingHouse endorsed or sponsored by the originator.) |
Israeli Jets Bomb Sudan "Missile Site" in Dry Run for Iran attack
By Uzi Mahmaini, Tel Aviv and Flora Bagenal, Nairobi