Investigation claimed to have uncovered evidence of
murders by SAS soldier and sexual abuse of detainees
by Scottish regiment
By Phoebe Weston
November 17, 2019 "Information
Clearing House" -
The government and
army have been accused of covering up torture,
sexual abuse and child killings by troops in
investigation by BBC Panorama and
The Sunday Times is claimed to have uncovered
evidence of murder by an SAS soldier, as well as
deaths in custody, beatings, torture and sexual
abuse of detainees by members of Scottish regiment
the Black Watch.
A senior SAS commander was also referred to
prosecutors for attempting to pervert the course of
justice, according to leaked documents that had been
kept secret by the government.
The investigation exposed new evidence from
inside the Iraq Historic Allegations Team (IHAT),
which investigated alleged war crimes committed by
British soldiers in Iraq, and Operation Northmoor,
which looked into war crimes in Afghanistan.
The government closed both inquiries in 2017
after Phil Shiner, a solicitor who had taken more
than 1,000 cases to IHAT, was struck off from
practising law amid allegations he had paid people
in Iraq to find clients.
However, some former investigators said Mr
Shiner’s actions were used as an excuse to shut down
No case investigated by IHAT or Operation
Northmoor has led to a prosecution.
An IHAT detective told Panorama: “The
Ministry of Defence had no intention of prosecuting
any soldier of whatever rank he was unless it was
absolutely necessary, and they couldn’t wriggle
their way out of it.”
Another former investigator described
the alleged cover-up as “disgusting”,
adding: “I feel for the families [of
victims] because... they’re not getting
justice. How can you hold your head up
as a British person?”
An episode of the documentary series to be
broadcast on BBC One on Monday night will allege
dozens of innocent civilians died during kill or
capture operations involving British special forces
On one night raid in Helmand that was looked at
by Operation Northmoor, a special forces soldier
killed four youngsters believed to be aged 20, 17,
14 and 12 in the guest room of a family home in Loy Bagh village.
“Throughout the process the decisions of
prosecutors and the investigators have been
independent of the MoD and involved external
oversight and legal advice.”
The MoD said cases were referred to the
independent SPA as a result of investigations in
both Iraq and Afghanistan.
“Cases from Iraq were referred as a result of
historic investigations. It is untrue to claim cases
investigated under Operation Northmoor in
Afghanistan were not acted upon. After careful
investigation, overseen by a former chief constable,
no Northmoor cases were referred to prosecutors,”
the spokesperson added.
The MoD also said Service Police undertook
extensive investigations into allegations about the
conduct of UK forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, and
that the SPA decided not to prosecute any of the
cases referred to it.
The spokesperson said: “Our military served with
great courage and professionalism in Iraq and
Afghanistan and we hold them to the highest
standards. It is government policy that military
operations are conducted in accordance with the Law
of Armed Conflict and where allegations are raised,
they are investigated.
“The Sunday Times’ claims have been
passed to the Service Police and the Service
Prosecuting Authority who remain open to considering
Additional reporting by PA
This article was originally
published by "The
Do you agree or disagree? Post
your comment here
Note To ICH Community
We ask that you assist us in
dissemination of the article published by
ICH to your social media accounts and post
links to the article from other websites.
Thank you for your support.
Peace and joy